State Government Relations Director
Ohio Bankers League
State Government Relations Director
Reports to: Vice President of External Relations
Statement of Purpose
The Ohio Bankers League State Government Relations Director contributes to Association and industry success by leading effective state government relations program in a manner that ensures the highest quality value-added content in a cost conscience method.
To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential duty satisfactorily. The requirements listed below are representative of the knowledge, skill, and/or ability required.
Lead Ohio banking industry's state governmental relations presence for the Association. Engage member bankers, state agency officials, state legislators, staff, and other stakeholders on current issues involving the industry. Keep internal audiences, including OBL Board of Directors, informed of state legislative and regulatory matters and lead Association involvement on appropriate issues.
1. Research, analyze, and advocate both proactively and reactively on legislative and regulatory issues of import to Ohio's banking industry.
2. Draft legislation and amendments to achieve industry policy objectives.
Manage state level grassroots advocacy:
a. Plan and coordinate opportunity for bankers statewide to engage in advocacy at the Statehouse;
b. Plan and coordinate opportunities for bankers to meet with their representatives and senators locally; and
c. Lead advocacy campaigns as necessary aimed at educating state officials and influencing the outcomes.
4. Lead industry state political action committee: Ohio BankPac.
5. Develop annual department budget and effectively manage with other members of OBL government relations team.
6. Assist in managing (proactive and reactive) media relations pertaining to state legislative and regulatory issues.
7. File JLEC reports for members of the OBL government relations team.
8. Plan and coordinate details for annual OBL Day at the Capitol program for OBL member banks.
9. Provide staff leadership to OBL Next Generation Advisory Board (NGAB). This is an industry opportunity for emerging bank leaders to become involved in the association and pursue industry initiatives at the local, state and national levels.
10. Assist in managing membership relations involving banks and thrifts as well as Endorsed Business Partners and affiliate members. Participate in strategically pursuing nonmember banks and thrifts for membership.
11. All other duties as assigned.
- Excellent oral and written communication skills; keen editorial skills and strong attention to detail.
- Strong interpersonal skills across diverse audiences and at all levels.
- Ability to plan and implement with sound technical and analytic skills, good judgment and strong operational focus; results oriented.
- Solid reputation with, at a minimum, key members of the Ohio General Assembly, their staff, executive agency officials and other Statehouse stakeholders.
- Excellent computer skills (MS Office, Word, Power Point and Excel, Internet) and an understanding of technology opportunities.
- Ability to manage multiple projects and stakeholders at one time; ability to quickly shift priorities and creatively solve programs in a dynamic environment.
- Juris Doctor Degree preferred. Bachelor’s degree at a minimum, in communications, political science or related field.
- Minimum five years of experience in government relations, corporate communications or related field.
- Understanding of and experience in legislative process.
- Impeccable credibility at the Ohio Statehouse.
All applicants looking to apply should send a copy of their resume to Evan Kleymeyer at email@example.com no later than September 21, 2018.